Welcome to the 30th annual Tom Howard/John H. Reid Fiction & Essay Contest. Submit published or unpublished work. $8,000 in prizes.
For this contest, a story is any short work of fiction, and an essay is any short work of nonfiction. Judge: Dennis Norris II, assisted by Mina Manchester. Please submit as many entries as you like. All themes accepted. Entries may be published or unpublished. Length limit: 6,000 words maximum. No restriction on age of author. All countries eligible except Syria, Iran, North Korea, and Crimea (due to US government restrictions). When this contest is open, please click the Submittable button below for full details. Fee: $20 per entry. Read the winning entries from the 28th contest. The results of our 29th contest will be announced on October 15, 2021. The results of our 30th contest will be announced on October 15, 2022.
Our 29th Fiction & Essay contest has closed. Our 30th contest will open here on October 15, 2021.
Please submit during
October 15, 2021-April 30, 2022
- STORY: First Prize, $3,000
- ESSAY: First Prize, $3,000
- The top two winners will also receive two-year gift certificates
- from our co-sponsor, Duotrope (a $100 value)
- 10 Honorable Mentions will receive $200 each (any category)
- Top 12 entries published online
- Enter via Submittable